Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Shhhhh... I'm Wooking for Warblers


The spring of 2008 revealed a feathered plethora of new and different wood warblers for me. My favorite spot to visit is the woods next to a small section of the Menomonee River along a section of paved road known as the "parkway." If you are familiar at all with Milwaukee and the suburban area of Wauwatosa, WI. You will know when I say Center St. and the Parkway, just what I am referring to.

I begin my frequent visits to this little known "gem" of the birding world in the middle of March and keep going back as often as I can to (at least) the end of May. This year was no exception. As soon as the snow was down enough for me to tromp to the fridgid river's edge, I was already scouring the area for what ever I could find. This year as last, I was rewarded with my first visitor of the year; a Winter Wren. This little sprite of the woods is quick and crafty. If you intend on seeing it at all, you need to creep along the river bank and be vewy, vewy, qwiet... The small brown and tan bird with the upright tail and jerky movements will delight anyone as they watch its antics in the leafless brush piles along the water.

If you listen closely you may hear the frequent guttural squawking of the Belted Kingfisher as it flies overhead following the river's pathway, or the croak of a Great Blue Heron (along with its large shadow) as it sweeps over your position. The species list of "regular" inhabitants to this urban oasis (crowded next to a golf course and residential neighborhood) is extensive and impressive; Mallard, Canadian Geese, Red-winged Blackbird, Cedar Waxwing, Black-capped Chickadee, White and Red Breasted Nuthatch, Northern Yellow-Shafted Flicker, Downy and Hairy Woodpecker, Mourning Dove, House Wren, American Goldfinch, House Finch, Northern Cardinal, Wood Duck and American Robin are the majority of the semi-permanent birds which one can see almost any time of year.

Ruby and Golden Crowned Kinglet, Least Flycatcher, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Rough-winged Swallow, Eastern Kingbird, Wilson's Warbler, Black and White Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Prarie Warbler, and Palm Warbler begin to migrate through starting the beginning of May. In addition, you may see the Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Brown Creeper and Black-throated Green Warbler as I did this particular spring. So, bring your binoculars and trusty guide for a fantastic little (easy to access) birding hot spot. I can hardly wait until fall!

No comments: