Sunday, August 1, 2010

What Happened to my Marigolds?!

Just a simple question...why are bunnies so damn cute?

 
Let's plant some flowers to brighten up the front of the house...you know, some instant "curb-appeal" and something nice to make a person smile.
  • Two flats of Home Depot marigolds planted firmly in the soil in front of the house...check. 
  • Sufficient watering for new plants...check. 
  • Sunny conditions to spur on new growth...check. 
  • A crap-load of newly hatched 2010 (cute as a button) bunny rabbits who apparently think that marigold leaves, and flowers (and not the stems) are delicious...check?
Yes flora-fans, the rabbits got to my flowers.  What can I say except to ask a simple (yet somehow complex) question: Why is it that "cute" little bunnies are decimating the plants?  You know...why not some "other" creature; detestably horrid and vile? 

When poignant issues like this arise, I think of my son Max and his incessant verbalizations in large public spaces regarding the highly implausible scenario of an imminent Zombie attack.  He'll scan the surroundings of (let's say) a shopping mall, or large open warehouse area in a Lowes or Home Depot, and remark matter of factly, "If the attack should begin here and now, that hardware area there - would be the first place I'd head in order to hold them off."  Hmmm...well, I of course (as the responsible parent) will always remind him that, "Zombies aren't real and that he should stop thinking about contingency plans related to a possible Zombie VS. the rest of the human race stand-off". 

But now, pondering the bunny infestation, my loss of marigolds, and the obvious conundrum surrounding their impossible God-given cute-ness - linked to the inevitable question of, "how could I possible take retribution against such a lovably-soft, large-eyed mammal?" I summarize that I'd rather fight Zombies instead...assuming of course that Zombies would (or could) eat marigolds.  THEN, at least I could pull the trigger and eliminate a few horrid, hellspawn marigold-mauraders with a clear conscience.

But bunnies?...c'mon...that's not fair.

No comments: