Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Big-Sitting in Milwaukee, WIsconsin


Bird Watcher's Digest Big Sit - 10-10-15


With the tiniest sliver of crescent moon glowing below a brilliant view of Jupiter, Mars and Venus (in an almost straight vertical line); Barbara and I climbed into my truck to drive east.  Today was one of two days that Bird Watcher's Digest had designated for their world-wide BIG SIT team challenge.  I of course chose Saturday, October 10th instead of the day in which all Wisconsinites cherish most; Green Bay Packer Sunday.  Back a few years ago; BWD only gave birders one chance to get in on the competition; that was on a Sunday.  I spent only one of those in 2007 listening to the game on a small transistor radio while standing in a cold rain, on the end of the Black River Marsh boardwalk, conducting an all-day Sit.  No more.  Perhaps there were other football fans that weighed in on making the event a two-day opportunity?  I mean c'mon...a guy has his priorities right?

This year I deviated from my past (regular) location at Havenwoods SF and chose a spot more conducive to having company drop in.  The Birdmilwaukee.com team (17-foot circle) was located on the very northeastern tip of County grass (behind the Lake Park, Gun Club rugby field) near the "magic hedge," tucked up close to the big water of Lake Michigan. Easy to find right?  Well...over the period of the 12 hours I stood there; five other bird watchers found me and also "sat" a while.  Barbara sat with me for the initial two hours of the day.  The sun was just popping it's fiery head up above a horizon of cold water when we sat down to eat a breakfast of Egg McMuffins, while sitting in lawn chairs we had packed. It had taken us a couple of trips to drag the day's provisions over to the edge of the rocky shoreline through the dew-wet grass.  The temperature was in the high 40s, and we had smartly dressed in layers, as the sun was predicted to warm up the air to near 70 degrees some time that morning.

Barbara was standing with her back to the lake when a movement in the water caught her attention.  Near the shoreline; but clearly in the frigid water was a man's head.  No, not a dismembered head or anything cool like that; it belonged to the rest of the man swimming in the lake!  Oh yes, about 30 yards south of us, bobbing up and down was the balding head of some old white dude; obviously enjoying a purposeful early morning immersion.  For some reason this just enthralled Barbara as she stood wrapped in her fleece blanket, over her many layers of clothing.  She kept trying not to look; but was nevertheless surrendered to the bizarre nature of this spectacle of human fortitude.  I admit I "looked" with my camera; as this was indeed something rare and comment-worthy - as I have just now proven.  After about 20 more minutes; the guy disappeared from Barbara's view.  She was flustered and  thoroughly convinced that he was a mere figment of her imagination until I spotted the guy walking, covered in a towel, over the crest of the rugby field towards the parking lot.  Note: I later learned from Judith Huf that she's birded many times in this spot in the early morning, and that the "guy" mostly swims in the buff.  Thank goodness he was wearing his trunks this early morning.

Yellow-rumped warbler
The Big Sit circle was strategically positioned just in front of a small group of young trees; keeping the briskly blowing SW wind at bay.  Ring-billed and Herring gulls were the predominant avian species to count; but when you count from one to two you are done...no more are necessary.  Double-crested cormorants, Canada geese, and Yellow-rumped warblers also made their presence known as the sun made its way slowly higher in the autumn sky.  It was about 8:30-ish when a bearded man in a floppy all-weather hat slowly walked towards us along the shoreline from the south.  This turned out to be Jym Mooney, birder extraordinaire; who decided to join the circle in a response to an email I sent earlier to any bird watcher with time to kill, on this particular Saturday.  I really like Jym and appreciate his incredible birding skills along with his willingness to pretty much "go the distance" for the sport of bird watching.  He came into "camp" carrying his scope and a story of how he was out already this morning, seeking the object of a rare, reported Western flycatcher.  Now that's dedicated bird-watching folks!

Jym Mooney
A Merlin had been sitting in a nearby maple earlier; eating another small bird before flying off.  In fact, Barbara and I had seen a pair of them together at one time flying in different directions.  When Jym arrived; it flew back causing Jym to shout out in a way which I have on so many, many occasions when spotting an unexpected bird.  I swear we (birders) don't even know we are doing it, but we do in fact, make some kind of involuntary inhalation noise, or elicit some other excited gasp that communicates our intense passion and enthusiasm for the sport.  I think the day I stop doing that is the day I have truly seen enough birds.  While that is unlikely; it would certainly and sadly signal some inner finish-line having been crossed.  I rue that day; so until then I gasp onward!

The Merlin zipped back and forth; putting on a great aerial display as we watched and I snapped my shutter.  Finally deciding to buy a decent camera has been so extremely fun for me.  Ask anyone who takes as many digital photos as I do and they'll probably tell you they have no idea why they do it.  It's just a kick to try to get that one amazing image that both you and others will go, "ooh!" over I guess.  Plus; the images don't cost you anything unless you print them.  It was time for Barbara to take her leave this fine morning; so we kissed goodbye and off she went to get some things done, including to help christen the grand opening of the "ROSS, Dress for Less" store in West Allis.  Jym and I kept "watching" for new bird species.

Blackpoll warbler
We both simultaneously gasped and looked up at a fast-approaching squadron of small birds flying directly overhead.  Swifts? no...Swallows! What kind?  Hmm..not Rough-winged, Tree, not Barn...Cliff!  Cliff swallows; six of them even, flying south at high speed.  Now that would be something interesting to report wouldn't it?  I didn't get the camera into position fast enough to prove it with an image, however the two of us seeing them, would have to do the trick.  The two of us were also treated to another somewhat rare sighting of a Blackpoll warbler still in that area; which I did get a photo of to prove it.  Palm warblers, gulls, and butter-butts were still plentiful along with the occasional Ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned kinglet sighting.  Jym bid me goodbye and left me around 11:30 heading out over the berm of grass to the west.  I ate a meatloaf sandwich and drank a Diet Pepsi.

Jim Toth and Karen Johnson
The next visitors were a pair of really nice people named Jim Toth and Karen Johnson.  They had also responded to the email and decided to carve out a small window of time to "sit" alongside me. Interestingly, their arrival was filled with excitement as they motioned to the "magic hedge" and exclaimed they had just passed a Great blue heron!  I asked them if I could see it from the 17-foot circle if I tried.  Jim walked back and forth a few times trying to see if that was at all possible.  Nope...not just then; it had retreated into the unlikely (water-less) hedges from which it had come.  Don't worry faithful reader; it emerged from the brush and took flight a bit later, making it clearly (and legally) visible to the eye and camera lens from the "official" circle.  <click, click, click>

An hour later and the latest visiting "sitters" needed to leave the circle.  I said goodbye and sat down to dig around in the cooler Barbara had packed for another snack.  Several girl's rugby games were just barely audible up the berm about 300 yards away and I appreciated that it was still very peaceful where I was stationed.  Occasionally there were casual dog-walking people who would stop and inquire as to what I was doing.  I would give a brief explanation of the function and share whatever bird I had just seen when the invariable question of, "so, what have you been seeing?" was posed.  An experimental airplane flew overhead to the south.  An "arrow-shaped" rear-propeller driven airship that seemed to noiselessly float overhead.  I took a few pictures and then some of the constantly passing gulls when I looked northward from where it had come and noticed a tiny bright light in the distance.  It appeared to be hovering about a mile or so to the north and a few thousand feet in the air.  I swung the camera around and clicked off two shots of it.  I assumed that it was some sort of helicopter or something that would be approaching in the next minute or so.

UFO (inset is a close-up)
The experimental aircraft had apparently turned around and was heading back to the north.  I had set my camera down, so I picked it up again to take a few more pictures.  I looked back north to see if that bright light had gotten any closer when I realized that it had completely DISAPPEARED.  I looked left, right, back, up, down, but it had vanished!  Now I'm not a little green man believer; but that was weird!  The images I took are located within this blog - see for yourself and tell ME what it was.


Judith Huf and Jaime
The last couple to stop by was Judith Huf and Jaime.  Judith is another one of my favorite birding people.  She is a no nonsense, tell it like it is, no B.S. woman who'll tell you what she knows about so many bird species, butterflies and plants; if you're smart enough to listen.  I hardly recognized her because she was out of her usual birding garb and dressed up to look at works of art in the Third Ward of Milwaukee.  Unfortunately for the short time they stayed; birds were almost non-existent. Still, it was very nice that she and Jaime stopped by to pay their respects to the guy in the circle on such a nice day.  A single Red-necked grebe floated slowly north as it alternately dove under the waves then swam above for the next 20 minutes, until it had floated out of my viewing area.

I manned the circle faithfully until the sun began to set behind the trees that lined Lake Park up the bluff across Lincoln Memorial Drive.  The temperature began to drop as I packed up all my gear.  I somehow made it to the truck in a single trip with all that stuff and drove home, completely satisfied with the day's successful Big Sit opportunity.

Here's the list of bird species both seen and heard during the sit:

  1. Double-crested cormorant
  2. Golden-crowned kinglet
  3. Merlin
  4. Ruby-crowned kinglet
  5. Downy woodpecker
  6. Canada goose
  7. Hermit thrush
  8. American robin
  9. American crow
  10. Red-headed woodpecker
  11. Common merganser
  12. Ring-billed gull
  13. Black-capped chickadee
  14. Brown creeper
  15. Yellow-rumped warbler
  16. Song sparrow
  17. Herring gull
  18. Belted kingfisher
  19. Cooper's hawk
  20. American goldfinch
  21. Red-bellied woodpecker
  22. Blue jay
  23. Palm warbler
  24. Cliff swallows
  25. Blackpoll warbler
  26. Great blue heron
  27. Red-necked grebe
  28. Broadwinged hawk

Red-necked grebe


Herring gull

Ring-billed gull

Ring-billed gull (Immature)

Merlin


No comments: