Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Watch out for them Nettles!

At times you have to go TO the birds...


Nebraska has some fantastic birding! I learned this simple useful nugget of information in short order moments after the Jayco was setup within the Fort Robinson State Park's tidy campground (off Hwy 20, near Crawford, NE) on the western edge of the state. A late afternoon thunderstorm had been brewing on the horizon as we drove in from the Grand Tetons, and had finally let loose its supply of rain onto the surrounding prairie. The ground was moist and the insects were stirring once again as I strapped on the Bushnells for a quick fact-finding tour of the grounds. Many birds were singing and moving through the canopy of various trees as I walked towards a central feature of the campground; the ancient black wooden railroad bridge.

The grade near the tracks rose dramatically upward so I leaned forward, stayed low and trudged towards the railroad bed. From the top of the summit I could see across the prairie field to the west. Loosely shaped gray-black clouds hung in the sky with the threat of additional precipitation, undeterred I plunged into the waist-high wet grass. Birds flew in and out of the vegetation as I approached a central pile of dead tree trunks. A smallish blue bird alighted atop an upended treestump and began its staccato song as I spun bringing up my binoculars. No, it can't be! - It IS...a Lazuli Bunting, my first! As I watched my "lifelist prize" flit to and from its preferred perch, numerous other colorful winged creatures dissapeared into the surrounding greenery. Being too far from the speeding darting birds to do a positive ID, I waded closer to the deadfalls to get a better look. It was then I looked around at the "grass" I was moving my shorts-clad legs through and stopped dead in horror. NETTLES! and I had almost blundered straight into them. Good thing I had paid attention to the leaf pattern instead of my lightning-fast quarry, because if you have ever had the extreme displeasure of getting intimate with this toxic serrated-edged demon of the woods, you know what I mean. The burning sensation that follows exposure is maddening and painful. BUT, did that dissuage me in the slightest from my quest? NO! I gingerly picked my way through the non-infested areas until I could gain purchase onto the nearest link in the deadwood pile chain. Crawling low and slow, I was able to traverse the entire length of the "Pick-up Stix" arrangement to reach the best vantage point.

These particular birds were flying sorties back and forth from the tall grass and nettles with some important mission on their bird brains. "Just what were they?," I mused to myself as I repositioned myself on the logs so as not to topple off into the stinging masses below. Orioles! - yes definitely orioles, but WHICH orioles? I looked through the Bushnells again and again as they came and went, ignoring my attempts to ID them. (The Nerve!) Baltimore? - No too yellow...Bullocks? - No, wrong area of the country. Finally, after checking two different field guides, I had it. - Hooded...Yes, Hooded...BING! another lifebird for the Birdstud! Males and females were grabbing insects down in the grass and flying off to feed their young in the nearby trees on the ridge. Wow, this was sooo cool!

Some have said that it doesn't take much to impress me, and there's some truth to that, but heck, I don't care. I get pretty darn "jazzed-up" by the immense beauty and sheer variety of God's creations, and I make no apologies. There is much I don't know and have yet to see (and learn) so onward I go toward the unknown and unseen with my head held high and my binoculars at the ready...watching out for nettles.

No comments: