Monday, October 6, 2008

Read any Good Books Lately?

A good guide can make all the difference.


When I go out in the woods looking for birds, I always take along Kenn Kaufman and the Stokes. Well, not really the actual people (however cool that would be) but their birding guides in book form. Sure, you can say, "Look at that birding geek Birdstud, with his camouflage fanny pack strapped on his backside...isn't he a dork?" But, I don't care. There have been too many times in my young amateur birding career where I have needed to consult with those much more knowledgeable than I am. Enter experts, Kenn Kaufman and Don and Lillian Stokes. In my limited experience with field guides, I prefer the Kaufman Field Guide to Birds of North America and for Warblers (those energy-filled little, hard to identify beauties) The Stokes Field Guide to Warblers. Both of these books are compact, vibrantly colored, chocked full of information and easy to understand. (I only wish I would have written them.) I mean, any book that asks and answers the burning question of, "What is a Warbler?" gets my vote each time I open the thing. I love to sit and peruse the pages flipping back and forth to compare my field notes with the tell-tale signs noted by the authors, with one caveat to the beginning birder that every book I have picked up will tell you; look at the darn bird for as long as you can making all the (mental notes, at least) notes you can BEFORE you crack the book. Why? From experience I can tell you that you may think you can pick out that new bird from the pages and pages with only a quick look at the actual bird, but as soon as the question of one or two wing bars and were they bright or dull arises, you'll wish you would have done what I suggest. Now, I know the temptation will be there to just "peek" into the book, but don't do it! - Watch that birdie as LONG as you are able, and log all the info you can...then go for it. (Note: you can purchase Kenn's guide online - HERE)

No comments: