Monday, September 14, 2009

...and THAT'S why it's called "Birding."

...nowwwwwwww, I get it...


As the old rusted-out mini van passed by "the WPT" (White Pickup Truck) the driver (and front passenger of said van), slowed so that I could get a long look at them, and their antics...


I was heading east on Burleigh Street when I noticed that a vehicle was behind me, following me for several stoplights. I could discern that there were two young Americans of African descent in the front seat, and...wait a minute...they were both displaying their middle fingers towards the back of my truck, and to my rear view mirror! "Hmmmpf," I thought. "What in the world did I do to cause that?" I pondered. Did I somehow cut the guy off? Was I driving too slowly? Could it be a (blue-state, liberal reaction to) the McCain/Palin bumper stickers? "Whatever..." I mused, shaking my head and focused my attention towards the front windshield of the WPT once more. My son in the front seat asked, "what's going on Dad?" I responded, "Heck, I don't know, the guy behind me just flipped me off for some reason!" Noticing that the mini-van had now pulled out from behind and had drawn even with me, I looked in its direction. Out of the open window of the van came a head and arm with the same middle digit erect, but the head wore a smile big enough to cause even the maddest of hatters to take notice. "What the hell?" I blurted. These two dudes were grinning broadly and both giving me the 4-gun salute at the same time. Driving side by side for a couple of blocks , they soon pulled away leaving me puzzling about their motives....then it dawned on me and I began to laugh. Hard. I turned to my son and said, "I get it...it's really funny too!" You see I had placed self-adhesive letters on the tailgate to trumpet my love for all things avian, by proudly proclaiming the ultimate of corny phrases, "FYI: I Brake for Birds!" The minivan's occupants were waiting to see If I'd indeed brake for their "birds!" I giggled about that all the way home.


Moments such as those always come with an "ah-hah" associated with them, do they not? Like when the other day, I realized why it's far more appropriate to refer to the observation of feathered fauna as "Bird-ing" Vs. "Bird-watching." It was so simple when I made that discovery for myself that I almost missed it. You see, it was on a bicycle ride along the Interurban Trail in Ozaukee County, WI. that it clicked. My wife and I were riding the trail that winds its way in and out of the quaint (tourist-friendly) cities of Cedarburg and Grafton. I had not taken a thing "bird-related" that day but knew I would be in amongst the wooded byways regardless. The trails were paved and were wonderfully diverse, however the more rapid pace of our ride would not have allowed for the leisurely stroll associated with my typical bird watching activity. The birds were still there...I could only "hear" them as I pedaled along. Wait! That was the moment of clarity. Sure, the majority of birders relied upon their eyes and binoculars most of the time, but what about their "other" senses? As it dawned upon me that I was still "birding" even while bicycling along at a pretty good clip, I began to tick off the species I heard while on the trail; chickadee, downy, robin, blue jay, cat bird, flicker...the list grew and grew while I added mile after mile.

"Bird-ing" Vs. "Bird-watching." Simple, uncomplicated, no additional equipment necessary...easy. I love that!

No comments: