Friday, September 4, 2009

Back to School Checklist

Okay Little Johnnie, let's go over your back to school list...

Pens?, (check) pencils?, (check) notebooks?, (check) Chicarrones? (huh?)...

Yes, it's true Mom's and Dad's, your little urchin's back to school list is not complete without 'em! At least that's what Walgreen's in Wauwatosa, WI would have you believe.

I was picking up a prescription when the sign near the checkout gave me pause. I began to doubt my child's readiness for his return to our educational system...what kind of parent was I? Sure I had secured the usual tools of the freshman-year trade, but (my goodness) how could I have been so ignorantly uninformed! How fortunate that I caught this egregious faux pas early in the new school year. I hoped that I was not already too late to save my son from the embarrassment of that crucial moment when all the "other" (better parentally prepared) students reached into their backpacks for their supply of flavored pork rinds, crinkling the cellophane bags in dutiful response to a sudden teacher request, only to find that I had not taken care of his needs...how utterly horrifying! Not any more...no sir! I have seen the display and the light...time to buy...and at such a wonderful Walgreensie value too if I buy in bulk.

Thanks Walgreen's you have saved me and my student from unbearable ridicule and I owe you a debt that words alone cannot repay. Let the new year begin now, knowing I have dodged the proverbial bullet and saved face...whew...that was close!

No comments: