Saturday, February 20, 2010

Embracing "Tunnel" Vision

You just KNOW you want to...


Remember when you were a kid?  I do.  Hell, I'm basically still a kid at heart and unafraid to admit it.    Remember how it felt to explore new, strange, scary, ("don't go in there Joey cause you'll get hurt!") kind of places?  I do.  I still do cause I can...without the aforementioned parental warnings associated.  Is it scary?...Yes  Is it kinda' stupid?...Yes too...but what the hell?  During the latest GBBC I ventured to Havenwoods (as you know if you read this blog) and came across a semi-frozen version of the same drainage system that is usually totally thawed (or is it "UN-thawed"...no, that sounds wrong doesn't it?  Kinda like when you say IN-flamable, when you mean the damn thing will burn like a monkey on a cupcake right? But I digress...as usual Birdstud...as usual)  Anyway, where was I?  Oh, I was telling you fair reader about the drainage system...

Well, the tunnels at the bottom of the hill were practically screaming out, "COME HERE" to me, so I did.  It reminded me of my childhood when I went down to the "culverts" near my Madison, WI home.  I wasn't supposed to go near them because my Mom said I'd "get hurt" right...but I did anyway.  I mean c'mon some of the guys from the neighborhood were having a rock fight on the top of them near the creek and I just HAD to join them.  Geeze...when I think back about that...a freakin' ROCK fight no less!  Anyway, I went to join the fracass and...well..dodged a rock and FELL into the culvert bottom and split my knee wide open.  I remember running back full-tilt to the house for a medic. 

When my Mom came outside to meet me, I said through my tear-stained and muddy cheeks, "Mom...I know I wasn't supposed to be by the culverts cause you told me not to, and you can punish me however you want to, but please just help me!"  She did.  I even skated on the punishment because (apparently) my contrition (and misery) was authentic enough, and she laughed each time she'd tell that tale over the years before her death in 2008...thanks Mom...I love you...you were the best.

So here were the tunnels of 2010 calling out my name.  Were there dangers?  Only if you count the thin honeycomb ice that coated the pond that drained into them.  Oh what the heck...time for some Tunnel Vision!  Plus, it was like visiting an art gallery if you like that kind of art anyway...see for yourself.




A tunnels-eye view

Drainage "Art"










Looks fun doesn't it?  Thanks for reading and dreaming along with the kid in me...B. Stud

No comments: