Friday, February 19, 2010

The GBBC 2010 ~ How did YOU do?

Reporting your findings when it really counts...

No, the GBBC is certainly not the Greater Boston Business Council (http://www.gbbc.org) A Boston based organization to help the bisexual, gay, lesbian and transgendered business community, with more than 1,000 working professionals.  However noble that goal and organization may be, it is totally unrelated to the subject of this particular BS blog.  This little slice of Birdstudian poundcake is dedicated to satiating the hunger of those who value citizen science reporting.  You see it's one thing to perform your due dilligence and "watch" the birdie, and another to remember to "share" your observations with the entire birding world.  Whether you feel confident that you are "worthy" of posting what you "thought" you saw, you truly ought to give it a try and follow-up with your very own report. 

By the way...you have until March 1, 2010 to do so...HERE  just as I did below...


The Devereaux Yard

This first list above was observed in the backyard of the house on Saturday over the period of 8 hours of casual (look out the window every-so-often) viewing.  I would observe a particular species and make a maximum count.  What eventually was reported to the GBBC website, was the maximum amount of that particular species I had seen over that 8-hour time period.  I decided to also sneek away for a little more than an hour to one of my favorite birding areas in the City of Milwaukee; the State forest at Havenwoods.  I pulled on the big Sorel boots and trudged through the snow.  Here's that final submitted count as well...(below)


The highlight of that little side-jaunt was the approximately 250 Starlings that decided to "electrify" me with their presence in a high-tension power tower.


I will be blogging more about this particular Havenwoods trip in a near-future blog so stay tuned...In the meantime, I also counted the next day just for kicks in the back yard once more.  The weather for the three counts was magnificent and sunny as I spent as much time outdoors as possible.  Here is that final submitted count:


So, in short I hope that you (fellow birder) also had the great fortune to observe during this past GBBC of 2010, and furthermore that you had the confidence to log on and report your totals. 

Remember: Every Little Bird bit helps, when it comes to science...make yours "count" too.

Thanks for reading!

Birdstud

1 comment:

Pepper said...

Thanks for the great GBBC 2010 blog Birdstud. I did in fact count this year and have reported my sightings. I like the tease about the Starlings I will check back for that post. Happy Birding!
Pepper